Working with a client to design their master suite is often one of our favorite design exercises. To start, we talk about how the client lives. Do they prefer the master suite to be central to the home, or perhaps in a wing or “pod” on its own. Some other topics we discuss are:
- Does the client wish for an office space or sitting room in conjunction?
- Is there an opportunity for an outdoor terrace or garden?
- Does the client want one common bath area, or two separate spaces?
- Where are the views?
- How does the light filter in at various times of day?
- How lighting, ventilation and technology come into play.
- Does the client want a television – and if so, should it be concealed?
- What type of furnishings do they wish to have in the room?
- Does the client want one central closet or his & her closets?
- Would the client like to include a washer/dryer in the closet?
- How much storage should we plan for?
- Does the client have any art pieces or antiques that should be worked into the space?
As designers we want to carefully design master suites, since its where our clients are able to retreat, to rejuvenate, and to rest. Lets face it – we can always use more sleep! Here are some of our favorite designs. For more master suite ideas, visit our Spaces page and come see us when you’re ready to design your personal retreat.